General Education Resources
- http://www.carnegiefoundation.org/resources - The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching - "The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching is an independent policy and research center. Improving teaching and learning has always been Carnegie's motivation and heritage."
- http://www.discoveryeducation.com/teachers/index.cfm?campaign=flyout_teachers - Discovery Education, Resources for Teachers - Find resources grouped by subject (math, science, English, or social studies) and by grade (K-5, 6-8, 9-12). Search and browse lesson plans, worksheets, brain boosters, learning adventures, and more.
- http://edsitement.neh.gov/ - EdSitement - "EDSITEment offers a treasure trove for teachers, students, and parents searching for high-quality material on the Internet in the subject areas of literature and language arts, foreign languages, art and culture, and history and social studies."
- http://www.edweek.org - Education Week - Education Week provides teachers with education-related news & articles, teaching blogs, information on incorporating technology into the classroom, and job search information.
- http://www.educationworld.com/ - Education World - Search for lesson plans, professional development resources, technology resources, and find information new teachers.
- http://educationnext.org - Educationnext - Educationnext provides information on a wide range of topics related to education. Journal articles are peer reviewed.
- http://edudemic.com/ - Edudemic - "What is the best way to improve education using social media? That’s the big question that Edudemic hopes to answer. You’ll find regular doses of helpful ideas, infographics, news, videos, and more when you visit Edudemic."
- http://www.eduhound.com/ - Eduhound - Find site sets (lists of helpful websites grouped by topic), lesson & unit plans, and many other educational resources on this website.
- http://www.free.ed.gov/ - Federal Resources for Educational Excellence - "FREE makes it easier to find teaching and learning resources from the federal government. More than 1,500 federally supported teaching and learning resources are included from dozens of federal agencies. New sites are added regularly."
- http://www.freetech4teachers.com/ - Free Technology for Teachers - Free resources & lesson plans for teaching with technology.
- http://www.thegateway.org/ - Gateway to 21st Century Skills - "The Gateway has been serving teachers continuously since 1996 which makes it one of the oldest publically accessible U.S. repositories of education resources on the Web. The Gateway contains a variety of educational resource types from activities and lesson plans to online projects to assessment items."
- http://www.google.com/educators/activities.html - Google for Educators - "From search games to presentations on how to use Docs & Spreadsheets with your students, here you can find real-world examples of innovative ways that teachers and librarians are using Google tools to help students learn."
- http://learner.org/ - Learner.org - "Annenberg Learner uses media and telecommunications to advance excellent teaching in American schools. This mandate is carried out chiefly by the funding and broad distribution of educational video programs with coordinated Web and print materials for the professional development of K-12 teachers. "
- http://www.loc.gov/teachers/ - Library of Congress, Teachers - Find classroom materials, professional development resources, suggestions on how to use primary sources, news and events, and explore other areas of the Library of Congress website using this link.
- https://www.teachingchannel.org/ - Teaching Channel - The mission of the Teaching Channel "is to revolutionize how teachers learn, connect, and inspire each other to improve the outcomes for all students in America."
- http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/article/top-20-teacher-blogs - Top 20 Teacher Blogs - According to the Scholastic website, those blogs chosen "have taught us a few things, made us laugh, made us cry, and reminded us that we are not alone in this sometimes stress-inducing, always awe-inspiring profession."
- http://www.ed.gov/ - US Department of Education - "ED's mission is to promote student achievement and preparation for global competitiveness by fostering educational excellence and ensuring equal access... [ED is dedicated to] establishing policies on federal financial aid for education, and distributing as well as monitoring those funds; collecting data on America's schools and disseminating research; focusing national attention on key educational issues; prohibiting discrimination and ensuring equal access to education.
Art Education Resources
- http://www.iowaartscouncil.org/links/arts-in-education/index.shtmlhttp://www.artedia.org/ - Art Educators of Iowa - The ArtEdIa website provides resources, lesson plans, information on professional development & conferences, newsletters, advocacy, and more.
- http://www.theartofed.com/ - The Art of Education - "Founded by art educator Jessica Balsley, The Art of Education seeks to provide Ridiculously Relevant™ professional development opportunities and inspiring specialized content to Art Teachers around the world."
- http://www.artsonia.com/ - Artsonia - An online art gallery where students and teachers can upload artwork to share with others.
- http://www.iowaartscouncil.org/links/arts-in-education/index.shtml - Arts Education Links - A list supplied by the Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs and includes national arts education links and Iowa arts education links.
- http://www.arteducators.org/ - National Art Education Association - "The National Art Education Association (NAEA) advances visual arts education to fulfill human potential and promote global understanding."
Biology & General Science Education Resources
- http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/index.html - Animal Diversity Web, University of Michigan Museum of Zoology - "Animal Diversity Web (ADW) is an online database of animal natural history, distribution, classification, and conservation biology at the University of Michigan. Animal Diversity Web has thousands of species accounts about individual animal species...descriptions of levels of organization above the species level, especially phyla, classes, and in some cases, orders and families" and can serve as an encyclopedia, a science learning tool, and a virtual museum.
- http://biodidac.bio.uottawa.ca/ - BIODIDAC - This bank of digital images, videos, and animations that can be used and adapted for teaching Biology. It organizes information based on organismal biology & histology, and presents the information in black and white diagrams, color diagrams, photographs, and labelled diagrams and photographs.
- http://www.bioedonline.org/ - BioEd Online, Baylor College of Medicine - "BioEd Online is an "educational resource for educators, students, and parents. BioEd Online utilizes state-of-the-art technology to give you instant access to reliable, cutting-edge information and educational tools for biology and related subjects" including streaming videos, the slide library, and news information.
- http://www.hhmi.org/biointeractive/animations/ - BioInteractive, Howard Hughes Medical Institute - Find resources for educators and students ranging from class activities, teacher guides, posters, lectures and transcripts, videos, animations, virtual labs, and more.
- http://www.nsta.org/ - National Science Teachers Association - The National Science Teachers Association publishes books and journals for all levels of science education and the organization holds four science education conferences. According to their website "we provide ways for science teachers to connect with one another."_
Business Education Resources
- http://www.econedlink.org/lessons/economic-lesson-search.php - Econedlink.com - "EconEdLink maintains a large library of online economic lessons for K-12 teachers & their students. Browse EconEdlink online economic and personal finance lessons by Lesson Type, Concept, Standard, Grade, Interactive Resource, Author or word search."
- http://www.jumpstart.org/ - Jump$tart: Financial Smarts for Students - "Jump$tart is a national coalition of organizations dedicated to improving the financial literacy of pre-kindergarten through college-age youth by providing advocacy, research, standards and educational resources. Jump$tart strives to prepare youth for life-long successful financial decision-making."
- http://www.nbea.org/ - National Business Education Association - "The National Business Education Association (NBEA) is the nation's leading professional organization devoted exclusively to serving individuals and groups engaged in instruction, administration, research, and dissemination of information for and about business. NBEA is the leading association devoted to the recognition that business education competencies are essential for all individuals in today's fast-changing society."
- http://www.practicalmoneyskills.com/foreducators/ - Practical Money Skills for Life, for Educators - "With a diverse range of resources; including free lesson plans, educational games for classroom use and profiles of inspiring educators; Practical Money Skills hopes to empower educators, enable student learning, and help provide people of all ages with the tools necessary for financial success."
English Education Resources
- _http://www.mainlesson.com/- Baldwin Online Children’s Literature Project - "The Baldwin Project seeks to make available online a comprehensive collection of resources for parents and teachers of children. Our focus, initially, is on literature for children that is in the public domain in the United States. This includes all works first published before 1923. The period from 1880 or so until 1922 offers a wealth of material in all categories, including: Nursery Rhymes, Fables, Folk Tales, Myths, Legends and Hero Stories, Literary Fairy Tales, Bible Stories, Nature Stories, Biography, History, Fiction, Poetry, Storytelling, Games, and Craft Activities."
- http://en.childrenslibrary.org/books/activities/index.shtml - International Children’s Digital Library - "The mission of the International Children's Digital Library Foundation (ICDL Foundation) is to support the world's children in becoming effective members of the global community - who exhibit tolerance and respect for diverse cultures, languages and ideas -- by making the best in children's literature available online free of charge."
- http://www.readwritethink.org - Read Write Think - A collaborative product from the National Council of Teachers of English and the International Reading Association, Read Write Think provides English teachers with classroom, professional development, and parent & after-school resources for all grade levels.
- http://www.ncte.org/ - National Council of Teachers of English - "The National Council of Teachers of English is devoted to improving the teaching and learning of English and the language arts at all levels of education."
- http://secondarymethodsresources.blogspot.com/p/lesson-plan-examples-ideas.html - Secondary Methods Resources, English - Find ideas for English lesson plans, unit plans, and other activities.
Family & Consumer Sciences Education Resources
- http://www.aafcs.org/ - American Association of Family and Consumer Sciences - The mission of the AAFCS is to provide leadership and support for professionals whose work assists individuals, families, and communities in making informed decisions about their well being, relationships, and resources to achieve optimal quality of life.
- http://www.foodtimeline.org/ - Food Timeline - "Developed by a reference librarian with a passion for food history, provides hints on how to approach research on a particular food "puzzler." Provides links to individual ingredients, as well as to complete dishes and historically important cookbooks. Includes teacher resources, historic menu collections, digitized cookbooks, and historic food pieces" (Worldcat).
- http://www.iowafcs.org/ - Iowa Association of Family and Consumer Sciences - "IAFCS and AAFCS strive to improve the quality and standards of individual and family life by providing educational programs, influencing public policy and through communication. "
- http://www.iowafcs.com/index.html - Iowa FCS - Iowa FCS provides links to resources, information on 21st Century Skills and the Iowa Core, marketing tools, and fields of study.
Math Education Resources
- http://www.amte.net/ - Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators - "AMTE is the largest professional organization devoted to the improvement of mathematics teacher education—it includes over 1000 members devoted to the preservice education and professional development of K-12 teachers of mathematics."
- http://www.maa.org/ - Mathematical Association of America - The Mathematical Association of America works to mathematics education, research, professional development, public policy, and public appreciation.
- http://mathforum.org/ - Math Forum @ Drexel - "The Math Forum is a leading center for mathematics and mathematics education on the Internet. Operating under Drexel's Goodwin College of Professional Studies, our mission is to provide resources, materials, activities, person-to-person interactions, and educational products and services that enrich and support teaching and learning in an increasingly technological world."
- http://www.nctm.org/ - National Council for Teachers of Math - "The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics is a public voice of mathematics education supporting teachers to ensure equitable mathematics learning of the highest quality for all students through vision, leadership, professional development and research."
Music Education Resources
- http://acda.org/ - American Choral Directors Association - "The American Choral Directors Association (ACDA) is a nonprofit music-education organization whose central purpose is to promote excellence in choral music through performance, composition, publication, research, and teaching. In addition, ACDA strives through arts advocacy to elevate choral music's position in American society."
- http://www.aosa.org/ - American Orff-Schulwerk Association - "The American Orff-Schulwerk Association is a professional organization dedicated to the creative teaching approach developed by Carl Orff and Gunild Keetman. We are united by our belief that music and movement – to speak, sing and play; to listen and understand; to move and create – should be an active and joyful experience."
- http://www.astaweb.com - American String Teachers Association - "The American String Teachers Association...is a membership organization for string and orchestra teachers and players, helping them to develop and refine their careers. ASTA's members range from budding student teachers to artist-status performers. The organization provides a vast array of services, including instrument insurance, an award-winning scholarly journal, discounts on publications and resources, annual professional development opportunities, and access to collegial network of colleagues throughout the string profession."
- https://www.bandmasters.org/ - Iowa Bandmasters Association - Iowa Bandmasters puts on an annual conference, supports a network of regional honor bands, supports student chapters for future band teachers, and has a strong mentorship program that matches first-year teachers with retired IBA members.
- http://www.iowachoral.org/ - Iowa Choral Directors Association - "Iowa Choral Directors Association, Inc. exists to serve choral musicians in the state of Iowa. ICDA's 1000+ members are choral conductors at every level of learning from pre-school to. ICDA is an affiliate of the American Choral Directors Association."
- http://www.ihsma.org/newdefault.shtml - Iowa High School Music Association - Find information on the mission of the organization, the Iowa All-State Festival (and audition information), Show-Jazz Choir and Jazz Band competition, the Marching Band Festival, Solo/Small Ensemble Festival, Large Group Festival, and adjudicator information.
- http://www.iamea.org/ - Iowa Music Educators Association - Learn about the state mentoring program, advocacy, conference & professional development information, advocacy, career opportunities, and explore how music education students & new teachers are supported in Iowa.
- https://sites.google.com/site/iowasta/home - Iowa String Teachers Association - This state chapter of the ASTA supports Iowa string happenings.
- http://www.midwestclinic.org - Midwest Clinic - "The Midwest Clinic exists for educational purposes exclusively; to raise the standards of music education; to improve the methods employed in music education; to develop new teaching techniques; to disseminate to school music teachers, directors, supervisors, and others interested in music education information to assist in their professional work; to examine, analyze and appraise literature dealing with music; to hold clinics, lectures, and demonstrations for the betterment of music education; and in general, to assist teachers and others interested in music education in better pursuing their profession." This conference is held annually in Chicago.
- http://www.mtna.org/ - Music Teachers National Association - "MTNA is the preeminent source for music teacher support, where members embody like-minded values and commitment to their students, colleagues and society as a whole, while reaping the rewards of collaboration, continuity and connection throughout the lifetime of their careers."
- http://www.menc.org/ - National Association for Music Education (formerly MENC) - Find information on all areas and levels of music education, including advocacy materials, lesson plans, Professional development opportunities, career information, the National Standards for Music Education, and more.
- https://oake.org - Organization of American Kodály Educators - "The mission of the Organization of American Kodály Educators is to enrich the quality of life of the people of the USA through music education by promoting" Kodály's philosophy of "'Music for Everyone' through the improvement of music education in schools."
Physical Education Resources
- http://www.aahperd.org/ - American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance - "AAHPERD’s mission is to promote and support leadership, research, education, and best practices in the professions that support creative, healthy, and active lifestyles."
- http://www.aahperd.org/aahe/ - American Association for Health Education - The mission of the American Association for Health Education (AAHE) is to advance the profession by serving health educators and others who strive to promote the health of all people through education and other systematic strategies
- http://www.iowaahperd.org/ - Iowa Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance - This association's goal is to "Provide leadership and support for the enhancement of movement, leisure and health related programs central to healthy, active lifestyles and lifelong learning."
- http://www.letsmove.gov/ - Let's Move - Let’s Move! is a comprehensive initiative, launched by the First Lady, dedicated to solving the challenge of childhood obesity within a generation, so that children born today will grow up healthier and able to pursue their dreams. Combining comprehensive strategies with common sense, Let's Move! is about putting children on the path to a healthy future during their earliest months and years. Giving parents helpful information and fostering environments that support healthy choices. Providing healthier foods in our schools. Ensuring that every family has access to healthy, affordable food. And, helping kids become more physically active.
Social Sciences Education Resources
- http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/index.html - American Memory, Library of Congress - "American Memory provides free and open access through the Internet to written and spoken words, sound recordings, still and moving images, prints, maps, and sheet music that document the American experience. It is a digital record of American history and creativity. These materials, from the collections of the Library of Congress and other institutions, chronicle historical events, people, places, and ideas that continue to shape America, serving the public as a resource for education and lifelong learning."
- http://www.besthistorysites.net/ - Best of History Websites - "Best of History Web Sites, created by EdTechTeacher Inc, is an award-winning portal that contains annotated links to over 1200 history web sites as well as links to hundreds of quality K-12 history lesson plans, history teacher guides, history activities, history games, history quizzes, and more."
- http://www.ncss.org/ -National Council for the Social Studies - "Founded in 1921, National Council for the Social Studies has grown to be the largest association in the country devoted solely to social studies education. NCSS engages and supports educators in strengthening and advocating social studies. With members in all the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and 69 foreign countries, NCSS serves as an umbrella organization for elementary, secondary, and college teachers of history, civics, geography, economics, political science, sociology, psychology, anthropology, and law-related education."_
- http://ohiossrc.org/resources.php - Ohio Social Studies Resource Center - "At present the OSSRC has resources available for many of the 6-8 and 9-12 benchmarks. We are currently working to identify resources for grades 3-5. These resources should be available by June of 2007. It is a goal of the OSSRC to identify valuable resources for all Ohio Social Studies Academic Content Standards and as the collection process continues additional resources will be added for all grade levels." Though geared for educators in Ohio, this resource could be helpful in developing lesson plan and activity ideas.
- http://www.loc.gov/rr/program/bib/statememory/ - State Digital Resources: Memory Projects, Online Encyclopedias, Historical & Cultural Materials Collections - "The Library of Congress American Memory project, Primary Sources by State, State Resource Guides, and other digital initiatives provide free access through the Internet to the treasures of the Library’s collections that document America’s history, culture, and creativity. Across the country, the archives, cultural institutions, museums, and libraries of many states are collaborating to create similar projects. They provide unprecedented access to materials that document local and regional growth and development as well as a look at the cultures and traditions that have made individual states and communities unique."
Special Education Resources
- http://www.cec.sped.org/ab/ - Council for Exceptional Children - "The Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) is the largest international professional organization dedicated to improving the educational success of individuals with disabilities and/or gifts and talents. CEC advocates for appropriate governmental policies, sets professional standards, provides professional development, advocates for individuals with exceptionalities, and helps professionals obtain conditions and resources necessary for effective professional practice."_
- http://www.naset.org/ - National Association of Special Education Teachers - "The National Association of Special Education Teachers (NASET) is a national membership organization dedicated to rendering all possible support and assistance to those preparing for or teaching in the field of special education. NASET was founded to promote the profession of special education teachers and to provide a national forum for their ideas."
- http://nichcy.org/ - National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities - NICHCY provides information on "disabilities in children and youth; programs and services for infants, children, and youth with disabilities; IDEA, the nation’s special education law; and research-based information on effective practices for children with disabilities." The organization's "special focus is children and youth (birth to age 22)." The website provides information on "specific disabilities, early intervention services for infants and toddlers, special education and related services for children in school, research on effective educational practices, resources and connections in every state, IEPs (individualized education programs), parent materials, disability organizations, professional associations, education rights and what the law requires, transition to adult life," and more.
- http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/osers/index.html - Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services, Ed.gov - "OSERS supports programs that help educate children and youth with disabilities, provides for the rehabilitation of youth and adults with disabilities and supports research to improve the lives of individuals with disabilities...The Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services (OSERS) is committed to improving results and outcomes for people with disabilities of all ages. OSERS provides a wide array of supports to parents and individuals, school districts and states in three main areas: special education, vocational rehabilitation and research."
Education Standards, Benchmarks, & Local Resources
- http://www.corestandards.org/ - Common Core State Standards Initiative
- http://educateiowa.gov/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=9935&Itemid=1507 - Common Core State Standards & Iowa Fact Sheet (PDF Download)
- http://www.iowa.gov/boee/ - Iowa Board of Educational Examiners
- http://educateiowa.gov/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=12166&Itemid=4303 - Iowa Core Literacy (PDF Download)
- http://educateiowa.gov/_ - Iowa Department of Education
- ttp://www.isea.org/home/teaching-and-learning.htm - Iowa State Education Association
- http://education.uky.edu/AcadServ/content/50-states-certification-requirements - Fifty States Certification Requirements - A listing of links to all 50 states' certification requirements from the University of Kentucky College of Education.
- http://www.nea.org/ - National Education Association