Agencies & Associations
- http://www.informs.org/ - The Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS) - Informs "is the largest professional society in the world for professionals in the field of operations research (O.R.), management science, and business analytics. INFORMS serves the scientific and professional needs of Operations Researchers and those in the Management Sciences including educators, scientists, students, managers, and consultants. The Institute serves as a focal point for O.R. professionals, permitting them to communicate with each other and reach out to other professional societies, as well as the varied clientele of the profession's research and practice."
- http://www.sba.gov/ - U.S. Small Business Administration - "The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) was created in 1953 as an independent agency of the federal government to aid, counsel, assist and protect the interests of small business concerns, to preserve free competitive enterprise and to maintain and strengthen the overall economy of our nation."
- http://www.entrepreneur.com/businessplan/index.html - Entrepreneur.com - Find basic information on creating a business plan like how long the plan should be, who needs a business plan and why, finding a plan that's the right fit, etc. Also find information on the planning process, determining objectives, financing, and assessing company potential. There are articles on the elements of a business plan and getting help with your plan as well.
- http://1.usa.gov/BPWriting - How to Write a Business Plan, SBA.gov - "A business plan is an essential roadmap for business success. This living, breathing document generally projects 3-5 years ahead and outlines the route a company intends to take to reach, maintain and grow revenues. A well thought out plan also helps you to step-back and think objectively about the key elements of your business venture and informs your decision-making." The provided "guides offer tips that will help you research and develop a winning plan."
- http://www.businessweek.com/ - Bloomberg Business Week - Find a wide range of information and news on global economics, companies & industries, politics & policy, technology, markets & finance, innovation, lifestyle, business schools, small businesses, and videos & multimedia. The library also has electronic access and back issues in print available.
- http://www.economist.com/ - The Economist.com - "The Economist online offers authoritative insight and opinion on international news, politics, business, finance, science and technology" and publishes "all articles from The Economist print edition (including those printed only in British copies) and maintain a searchable online archive that dates back June 1997." The library also has electronic access and back issues in print available.
- http://www.entrepreneur.com/ - Entrepreneur.com - Find information on starting & growing a business, social media, sales & marketing, technology, business opportunities, help & how-to guides, and other additional resources. The library also has electronic access and back issues in print available.
- http://www.fastcompany.com/ - Fast Company.com - "Fast Company is the world's leading progressive business media brand, with a unique editorial focus on innovation in technology, ethonomics (ethical economics), leadership, and design. Written for, by, and about the most progressive business leaders, Fast Company and FastCompany.com inspire readers and users to think beyond traditional boundaries, lead conversations, and create the future of business."
- http://www.forbes.com/ - Forbes - Find current information on business, investing, technology, entrepreneurs, opinion pieces, leadership, lifestyles, and more. The library also has electronic access and back issues in print available.
- For more current business information you may wish to look at Fortune 500 Daily & Breaking News, Inc.com, and Financial Times.
- http://www.google.com/finance - Google Finance - "Google Finance offers an easy way to search for stocks, mutual funds, and public and private companies. By combining content licensed from financial data providers with content from the Web, Google Finance lets you easily find and manage your financial information online."
- http://finance.yahoo.com/ - Yahoo Finance - Similar to Google Finance, Yahoo Finance compiles information on market news, updates, stocks, company information, and more. It is easy to search and extract the company information you seek.
- http://library.duke.edu/digitalcollections/adaccess/ - Ad*Access - "The Ad*Access Project...presents images and database information for over 7,000 advertisements printed in U.S. and Canadian newspapers and magazines between 1911 and 1955. Ad*Access concentrates on five main subject areas: Radio, Television, Transportation, Beauty and Hygiene, and World War II, providing a coherent view of a number of major campaigns and companies through images preserved in one particular advertising collection available at Duke University."
- http://www.adcracker.com - AdCracker.com - "AdCracker is a tool for people who create advertising ideas: creative directors, copywriters, art directors and designers. AdCracker also works for small business owners, marcom manages and educators with: 1 - Expert 'How To' articles and worksheets...2 - Interactive "concept triggers," ...3 - Hundreds of advertising examples, including creative and effective brand and direct response advertising ideas expressed in TV, print, email, and digital media.
- http://library.duke.edu/digitalcollections/eaa/ - Emergence of Advertising - "The Emergence of Advertising in America: 1850 - 1920 (EAA) presents over 9,000 images, with database information, relating to the early history of advertising in the United States. The materials, drawn from the David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library at Duke University, provide a significant and informative perspective on the early evolution of this most ubiquitous feature of modern American business and culture."
- http://www.knowthis.com - KnowThis.com - "KnowThis.com is a leading information and resource website for those involved in marketing, market research, advertising, selling, promotion, and other marketing-related areas...KnowThis.com is committed to providing quality information and valuable tools for business professionals, academics and students of marketing and related fields. This is accomplished by: publishing highly detailed information and educational materials that, in most cases, are freely available to site visitor; being highly selective as to which external Internet resources are referenced providing access and analysis of current industry news and events."
- http://www.sca.isr.umich.edu/main.php - Surveys of Consumers - "The Surveys of Consumers has been conducted by the Survey Research Center at the University of Michigan since 1946. Founded by George Katona, the surveys have been under the direction of Richard Curtin since 1976. The Surveys of Consumers pioneered the development of measures of consumer confidence, and remains the pacesetter in the use of the data for understanding the important influence of consumer spending and saving decisions on the course of the national economy. The surveys have proven to be an accurate indicator of the future of the national economy. The data is widely used by a broad range of business firms, financial institutions, and federal agencies. The Index of Consumer Expectations is an official component of the Index of Leading Indicators developed by the U.S. Department of Commerce."